The qualification for this leadership was threefold. They must be known by the people for being highly regarded, which speaks of social standing, and long-term proof of probity, and respected.
To be of good repute is not a day job. It follows a consistent pattern of uprightness.
Then there was the issue of the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Many people may be dependable, but not many people are full of the Holy Spirit. The latter live an empowered life. The power of God is manifest through their lives, in spiritual giftedness in expression. That is the meaning of infilling from the book of Acts.
Then thirdly, they should be full of wisdom. That means they are not just all talk, but have practical result as evidence of their wisdom. I define wisdom as what to do to get result, the divine how-to. Jesus said that wisdom is justified by its children, it’s results (Matthew 11:19).
The apostles wanted those who are approved by men (of good repute), approved by God (full of the Spirit) and approved by the results they have been getting in their practical lives (full of wisdom).
The reasons correspond to the three qualities the Apostles wanted:
They needed those who will move among the people, therefore, must be approved by men.
Since it is about the church, and not a social club, not a political party, not a natural entity but spiritual, those who will lead must be full of the Spirit, must be intentional followers of God, on his own terms, submitted to his will.
Then thirdly, since the matter at hand is a practical matter of the “serving of tables” (Acts 6:1-7) they need people who will be effective, so that the apostles would not border about such things again. They needed people who can deliver results on a practical level, exhibiting high intelligence, ability to coordinate, intuitive enough to marry what is on ground with what the people need.
- see, hear and tell all people… (gospellandblog.wordpress.com)
- The Return of Jesus Christ (endtimesprophecyreport.com)
- We Are Safe, and Know Ourselves to Be in the Lap of God Himself (celiaelaine.wordpress.com)
- Reformed Pentecostals (gentlereformation.com)
- Knowing The Full Story (mylordmyfriend.com)
- Your Word for This Day: “Living with The Spirit of Truth” (thotam.com)
- DIG for Thursday the 18th of August…..even Jesus needed the Holy Spirit…..John 1 v 32 (heilanword.wordpress.com)
- Insight 246: Become a FaithSoaring Church By Never an Off Sunday (bullardjournal.blogs.com)
- How to be baptized by the Holy Spirit and what to expect afterwards? (virtualpreacher.org)
- Creative writing in the Holy Spirit brings power to our books (radiqx.com)